Northwest Chicago is known for unpredictable weather. Spring is around the corner, and as the weather starts to heat up, having a reliable AC system is essential to stay comfortable indoors. However, air conditioning systems undergo regular wear and tear that can lead to breakdowns or malfunctions. If your HVAC system isn’t running properly, call an AC repair service to stay cool and comfortable even on the hottest Chicago days.
Here’s everything you need to know about AC repairs with G & R Heating & Air. We’re the 24/7 repair team Chicago trusts.
Why Did My Air Conditioner Stop Working?
No one plans for an air conditioner to fail. But a malfunctioning AC unit on a hot summer day is tough. There are a few reasons why your air conditioner may stop working. Some are quick fixes, while others require professional attention.
Here are some common reasons why your AC may stop working:
- Dirty Filters: Dirty air filters can cause your system to stop working. Clean your filters every month (or as the manufacturer recommends) to maintain your HVAC system.
- Electrical Issues: Faulty wiring, blown fuses, or tripped circuit breakers can cause your AC system to stop working.
- Fan Problems: If the fan in your system stops functioning correctly, it can cause the system to stop working. The fan should be inspected by an AC repair company and repaired or replaced if necessary.
- Maintenance Issues: A lot of HVAC systems break down without routine maintenance. It’s best to have your AC serviced once or twice a year.
- Refrigerant Leaks: Low refrigerant levels can cause your AC system to stop working or not cool properly. If you suspect this is an issue with your unit, our professional AC technician can inspect your system and repair any leaks.
- Condensate Drain: The condensate drain in your AC system can become clogged, causing the system to stop working or leak water.
- System Needs Replacing: Air conditioners have a lifespan like any other machinery. If your AC unit is old or broken, you may need a new air conditioning installation.
These are a few common reasons why you may need an AC repair. Some other causes can include dirty coils, broken compressors, etc. To fully understand the problem in your system, one of our team members will schedule an in-person consultation.
How We Diagnose The Problem
The first step in repairing your air conditioning system is identifying the problem. Once you notice an issue with your unit, call us, and we’ll visit your location. At G & R Heating & Air, we carefully assess your HVAC system to detect any issues that can cause it to malfunction, like leaks, clogged filters, faulty wiring, and broken compressors.
Depending on the issue, our technician may need to replace specific parts or repair the wiring or compressor.
10 Signs That Your AC System Needs A Repair:
Not sure when it’s time to give us a call? If you’re experiencing the following, your system must be serviced.
- Poor Airflow: If your AC system is not blowing enough air, you could have a clog, dirty filters, or issues with the blower fan motor.
- Warm Air: The air from your AC system is warm or not as cold as it should be.
- Odd Noises: If your AC system makes unusual noises, like rattling or grinding.
- Unusual Odors: If your AC system emits strange odors, like a musty or burning smell. This can also be a sign you have a mold or mildew issue.
- Water Leaks: Pooled water or an active leak around your air conditioner is a telltale sign that your cooling system isn’t running correctly.
- High Humidity: If your AC can’t keep the humidity in Chicago at bay, it could be a sign of a problem with the condensate drain or evaporator coils.
- High Energy Bills: If your energy bills are increasing without any increase in usage, it may be due to an inefficient AC system working harder than it should be.
- Age: If your air conditioning system is over 10-15 years old, consider replacing it.
- Constant Cycling: Frequent on-and-off cycling of the air conditioning system could indicate a malfunctioning thermostat or a problem with the compressor.
- Uneven Cooling: If some areas of your home are cooler than others, it may indicate a problem with the ductwork, insulation, or a malfunctioning thermostat.
AC repair services are essential for maintaining the functionality and efficiency of your HVAC system. Contacting an AC repair specialist near you can help you avoid expensive repairs or replacements in the future. If you think your AC system needs to be repaired, call us today, and we’ll diagnose and fix the issue quickly and efficiently.
How Much Is An AC Repair In Chicago?
The repair cost will depend on the severity of your system’s problem and which parts are required. G & R Heating & Air is committed to offering affordable AC repairs you can count on.
Call us for a free estimate to help determine the repair cost before any work is done.
What To Look For In An Air Conditioner Repair Service
Choosing a company with experience with HVAC services and a good reputation is important. Your service provider should be licensed and insured and have positive reviews from previous customers. Finding a company that provides 24/7 emergency services is crucial because you never know when your AC system might stop working.